Houston Eminent Domain Attorney
Fighting for Property Owners & Their Constitutional Rights
Is your property at risk of being confiscated by the government by an eminent domain action? You need an experienced legal team on your side. More than anything, you need McDowell Law Group LLP.
Our eminent domain attorneys work to protect the rights of landowners in Houston and throughout Texas. Not only can we fight for the fair compensation you deserve, we are not afraid to challenge condemning authorities.
Partner John T. McDowell:
- Selected for the Thompson Reuters® Texas Super Lawyers® list in 2007-2011, 2014-2015, and 2017-2018.
- Selected for the National Trial Lawyers' list of Top 100 Civil Plaintiff's lawyers
We believe that your constitutional rights matter. By combining our litigation skills with a client-centered mindset, our law firm is prepared to go the distance on your behalf. We can guide you through the complexities of eminent domain law and won’t settle for anything less than the best.
What is Eminent Domain?
Eminent domain is the constitutional right of the government and certain authorized agencies to seize your private property for public use. The seizure of this land is known as a condemnation proceeding.
Common uses for land in eminent domain include:
- Building highways
- Widening roads
- Building bridges
- Constructing new civic buildings
- Laying pipelines
- Establishing electrical substations
- Taking rights-of-way for power lines
When Can Property Owners Challenge Eminent Domain in Texas?
According to the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments to the Constitution, property owners can challenge government claims on their property under the following circumstances:
- If the organization trying to take your land does not have the authority to do so
- If your property is not being claimed for "public use"
- If the argument can be made that they do not really need to take your property in order to complete the project
- If the government has refused to offer you fair compensation for the property being taken
If you believe that any of the above situations apply to your case, please contact our Houston eminent domain lawyers immediately. We can help you determine what the best course of action will be going forward.
Don’t leave your property at the mercy of the government. Schedule a free consultation to discuss your eminent domain case in Houston, TX!