Houston Eminent Domain Attorney
Fighting for Property Owners & Their Constitutional Rights
When your property is at risk of being confiscated by the government, you need an experienced legal team on your side. More than anything, you need McDowell Law Group LLP. Our eminent domain attorneys work to protect the rights of landowners in Houston and throughout Texas. Not only can we fight for the fair compensation you deserve, we are not afraid to challenge condemning authorities.
Partner John T. McDowell:
- Selected for the Thompson Reuters® Texas Super Lawyers® list in 2007-2011, 2014-2015, and 2017-2018.
- Selected for the National Trial Lawyers' list of Top 100 Civil Plaintiff's lawyers
We believe that your constitutional rights matter. By combining our litigation skills with a client-centered mindset, our firm is prepared to go the distance on your behalf. We can guide you through the complexities of eminent domain law and won’t settle for anything less than the very best.
What is Eminent Domain?
Eminent domain is the constitutional right of the government and certain authorized agencies to seize your private land for public use.
Common uses for land in eminent domain include:
- Public utility building
- Building highways
- Widening roads
- Building bridges
- Constructing new civic buildings
When Can Property Owners Challenge Eminent Domain in Texas?
According to the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments to the Constitution, property owners can challenge the U.S. government's claim on their property under the following circumstances:
- If the organization trying to take your land does not have the authority to do so
- If your property is not being claimed for "public use"
- If the argument can be made that they do not really need to take your property in order to complete the project
- If the government has refused to reimburse you properly for the property being taken
If you believe that any of the above situations apply to your case, please contact us immediately to determine what the best course of action will be going forward.
Don’t leave your property at the mercy of the government. Schedule a free consultation with eminent domain lawyers in Houston!